Match.com, one of the world's leading online dating service providers, announced today that its members have exchanged over one billion winks.
Much like an in-person wink, a Match.com "wink" is an easy way for members to flirt and express initial interest in one another without a formal email introduction. With over 735,000 winks sent globally each day this year alone, Match.com members clearly believe in the universal flirting power of the classic gesture.
"Match.com has transformed the way people meet and connect, and the idea of a digital 'wink' has been a big part of that," said Mandy Ginsberg, senior vice president and general manager of Match.com North America. "The wink is as old as the art of flirtation, and as new as what shows up in your in-box tomorrow."
To celebrate this milestone, Match.com has compiled a list of the top five past and present winkers:
- Marilyn Monroe tops our list as the most iconic and notorious winker
- Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin comes in second after generating a fair share of attention recently with her eye-catching wink
- John Travolta used his wink to entice Olivia Newton-John's "Sandy" in Grease
- Zac Efron's character in the hit movie Hairspray served up plenty of heartthrob winks
- Samantha from Bewitched showed us that you can never underestimate the power of a wink or nose-twitch
Match.com pioneered online personals when it launched on the Web in 1995 and continues to lead this exciting and evolving category after more than a decade. Throughout its 13-year history, Match.com has helped redefine the way people meet and fall in love. With more than 100 million members since 2000 and 15 million current members, Match.com provides a rich tapestry of ethnicities, interests, goals, ambitions, quirks, looks and personalities from which to choose. Match.com operates some of the leading subscription-based online dating sites in 40 countries, in 15 languages spanning six continents. Match.com also powers online dating on MSN across
First Call Analyst:
AP Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org/
PRN Photo Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org
CONTACT: John Walls of Match.com, +1-214-576-9438, email@example.com;
or Ben Therrien of MS&L, +1-212-468-3057, firstname.lastname@example.org, for
Web site: http://www.match.com/